Comfort and Joy

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will
give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:13

Friday, October 23, 2009

Houston, TX

***Very long post***
Austin and I flew to Houston, Texas to visit my 2 brothers and dad. My dad and brother Matt started a catastrophe roofing company called Acumen. The company is based out of Houston right now with offices also in Wichita, Kansas and Denver, Colorado. My oldest brother Chris is working for them right now doing their PR, advertising, and website management. Usually the boys in my family are all over the country (NY, LA, and Orlando) so Austin and I took advantage of the 3 of them being in the same city.
The flight to Houston was great. Austin did wonderful. There was an empty seat next to me so that made it a lot easier for him to spread out and play. (I tried taking a picture of us, not great of me but pretty cute of the little guy).

After we landed in Houston, my dad and Chris picked us up and drove us around for a little while. We saw their office and then headed to a cookout for C-Different (the non-profit my brother Matt founded). Three blind athletes had flown in to do a triathlon the next morning. This is a picture of Aaron and Matt after they finished the triathlon. Aaron is visually impaired. He is one of the neatest people I have ever met. I met him around 6 years ago at a triathlon in Malibu. He is a 3 time World Champion for disabled athletes. He is FAST! Matt guided him at this triathlon and they won. It was pretty amazing to watch.

Austin and Aaron

Matt and Austin after the race

Matt, Aaron, Christin, and Austin
Chris and Austin at the race.

Austin and his new friend Montie who was 16 months old.

My brothers with Austin and I
Pops with Austin

After the triathlon my brother Chris, Austin, and I went shopping at the biggest mall I ever been to, the Galleria. It was incredible. We purchased some cowboy boots for Austin. We then headed to a restaurant where C-Different was having a fundraising dinner. Here is Austin in his new boots.
Montie and Austin were having fun playing next to the beer boxes =)


I thought this picture was funny. Matt and Austin have the same expression on their face.
the whole family

On Monday, Chris, Christin, my dad, Austin, and I headed to Kemah (near Galveston) for a fun afternoon. Kemah is right on the ocean with amusement rides for all ages. Austin went on his first amusement rides. He rode the carousel with mommy.

and a balloon ride that went up in the air
and rode in a plane with Uncle Toph
rode on a train with Pops and Mommy (Chris and Christen were sitting in front of us)
just a cute picture of my little guy on the train
He had so much fun that he fell asleep in his stroller. Pops is pushing his asleep grandson while carrying his granddog in the bag
Since Austin was asleep, the big kids decided to go ride the big kid ride. It was a lot of fun. That's Chris and I up front with Christen right behind us.


We were so sad to leave family in Houston but ready to see daddy back in Memphis.
The trip home was not as smooth as the trip there. Austin missed his morning nap which made for a very fussy guy. The other passengers commented that he did well but he sure did wear me out. He was running up and down the aisle "talking" to the other passengers and then with 30 minutes out, he lost it. The lack of sleep had caught up with him and he was done. I was thankful when the wheels hit the runway.
Thanks family for a wonderful trip to Texas. We loved seeing you and are so proud of what you are accomplishing. Thanks Chris for carting us around all weekend.

2 comments:

Emilee Odette Garrett said...

What an awesome trip! I love the boots! I had a flight home like that with Caroline one time. We were right behind first class. It's funny now, but I was in tears at the time.

EBW said...

What a fun trip!! Such cute pics! What special memories for Austin and his family!