Comfort and Joy

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will
give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:13

Monday, May 2, 2011

Easter-Part III

The boys woke up Sunday morning to Easter baskets set out on the kitchen table (the coffee cup is for David).
IMG_2696
I realized as soon as the boys came into the kitchen that David and I had never talked about whether we were going to do the tradition of the Easter Bunny bringing them or not because he immediately said, "Look at what mommy bought for you!". I looked at David with my mouth wide open and he said, "What, what?". He truly had no idea he did anything wrong. I grew up with the Easter Bunny being very real so I just assumed we would do the same (we have had numerous talks about Santa Claus but not the Easter Bunny...or the tooth fairy for that matter). Later in the day we discussed the Easter Bunny matter and still haven't come to a complete agreement =)
IMG_2699
IMG_2703
IMG_2709
We then opened the tomb and talked about what the cookies represented.
IMG_2713
We noticed the cracked surface and took a bite. The cookies were hollow! We talked about how on the first Easter Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. We then read Matthew 28:1-9. It was a great activity to do with the boys and I can't wait for next year when I think Austin will grasp it even better.
IMG_2712
We then went to IPC where we heard a great sermon and a great lesson in Sunday School. After church we headed home to take family pictures (on self-timer). None of them turned out great but I wanted to post one.
IMG_2728
We then had the boys go out back and take pictures. They were hilarious. Austin is getting more involved in helping with Miller. It doesn't always turn out well (some crying from Miller) but its sweet that he wants to help.
IMG_2731
IMG_2737
IMG_2735
What a wonderful Easter weekend we had. I am so blessed! Thank you Lord for everything!


"come, see the place where the Lord lay, with joy and gladness. he does not lie there now. weep, when ye see the tomb of Christ, but rejoice because it is empty. thy sin slew him, but his divinity raised him up. thy guilt hath murdered him, but his righteousness hath restored him. oh! he hath burst the bonds of death, he hath ungirt the cerements of the tomb, and hath come out more than conqueror, crushing death beneath his feet. rejoice, o Christian, for he is not there—he is risen."~charles spurgeon

1 comment:

Molly Witherington said...

Sounds like a great weekend! We haven't really decided about the Easter bunny either. Grew up with him, but just couldn't bring myself to get fired up about it this year and so just focused on Jesus' resurrection and gave them baskets of goodies. I asked Kate the other day who put that stuff in her basket and she said "momma and daddy." I may just leave it at that - not real sure. I don't know why I'd be okay with Santa and not the Eater bunny, hmmm...