Comfort and Joy

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will
give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:13

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Trip to CA and WA

David had a conference in Los Angeles, CA so I decided to go along for the trip. Untitled
It was exactly what I needed.  Everyone couldn't believe that I had absolutely no plans but that is exactly what I wanted...to do nothing!  It was perfect.  I read 4.5 books while I was gone.  I LOVE to read but just don't have time to do it at home so when I leave town I hunker down and read and relax.  David always says I have the hardest time relaxing at home but man do I know how to relax on vacation (sans kids).  We flew out to CA on Tuesday and took it easy that night.  Wednesday morning we woke up and had breakfast together and then I found my place next to the pool and started reading.  I fried myself and I am still peeling from it but it was worth it.
Enjoying every minute of our trip to LA for David's work conference. This momma needed a major break from the normal routine of life.
Wednesday night I met up with him for drinks with friends and then a nice dinner just the two of us. Enjoyed a great dinner last night with David and old friends from our time in Boston. #latergram While we were at dinner we looked over and recognized Seth MacFarlane (Family guy). Seth_MacFarlane
We went through the rest of dinner not really thinking much of it and right after Seth left the restaurant David remembered that one of his teenager patients who has a bad diagnosis really likes Funny Guy so David decided to see if he could catch Seth outside.  He catches up to him outside the restaurant waiting at the valet for his car and asks if he is Seth MacFarlane.  Seth says it depends on who's asking.  David says that he's a physician in Memphis but that doesn't really matter...he has a teenager patient that loves his show and would Seth be willing to sign anything for him?  Seth immediately says yes and rips a piece of paper out of the valets pad and does this below.  David came back in to the restaurant pretty fired up and has since given this to his patient who was pretty pumped.  Definitely a highlight to the trip.
Untitled
Thursday morning I did more pool side and then met David for a hike through Runyan Canyon.  It was a beautiful hike and perfect weather.

After the hike we headed back to the hotel to change clothes and met up with David's co-fellows from his fellowship in Boston.  It was a great night of catching up and enjoying a nice dinner.

Friday I spent the morning by the pool and then spent time that afternoon at the spa getting an amazing massage.  It was a great way to end our time in CA before we flew to WA.
 Friday night we caught a flight to Tacoma, WA to see David's brother and sister in law and meet the newest member of the Spence clan, Jacob. Ryan picked us up Saturday morning from our hotel and drove us around Seattle and Tacoma to see some sights and then we headed back to spend the afternoon with our new precious nephew.  We started by picking up our breakfast from the Farmers Market.
Ryan is super talented and has so many gifts and one of them is creating and building.  He designed and helped build this amazing skate board ramp.  It is extremely tall and is enclosed completely with a roof on top of it.  Pro-skateboarders come to skate on this thing.  It was really neat to see something he put so much time and love into.
We then stopped by the famous Public Market and walked around.  
We grabbed a Piroshky from Ryan's favorite stop.       Seattle Pike Place Market
We then headed back to their place to spend quality time with Corinne and little Jacob!

I loved having him fall asleep on my chest.  Such a sweet moment that I loved having with him.
    I'm in hog heaven!  Just met my new nephew Jacob in Tacoma. He's perfect!
That night we headed to dinner at a nice restaurant in Tacoma.  It was a great way to spend a Saturday!

The kids were well loved on and cared for by Dingdad and Yaya in Memphis.  
Thank you Yaya and Dingdad for taking care of the kids so we could have this getaway!  It was a wonderful trip!

No comments: