Comfort and Joy

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will
give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:13

Thursday, January 26, 2012

playing catch up

I know, I know...where have I been!  I have had a fun, exhausting, encouraging, tiring 2 weeks.  How does that sound for a blog post?  The trip to Memphis was good but also very hard.  We fit a lot in over 2 weeks.  I mean a lot!  It was so great to see friends and family and catch up in person but it was also hard.  My love language is quality time so I loved getting time with them but it never felt like enough.  I had my kids with me for a lot of the time so the conversations were often interrupted so you left feeling like you only got a tiny glimpse of what was going on in their lives.  It was also encouraging because I feel like right now I belong in Boston.  I miss Memphis..I miss the people in Memphis but I know I am supposed to be here right now.  Supporting my husband, raising my children, experiencing the Northeast and learning more about myself and my family along the way.  We were in Memphis at exactly the 1/2 way point of living in Boston.  6.5 months living in Boston and 6.5 months left.  In one way it felt like we had just left and in others it felt like we have been gone for a while.  David wasn't able to come so 2 weeks away from the one you love and your childrens hero was hard.  There were lots of tears shed over missing him (from all of us).  I heard numerous times when Austin was being disciplined that he missed daddy...I told him I also missed daddy...and Nim...our babysitter. =)  I don't mean to be Debby downer because it really was great to see the ones we love but I am just being real.  Traveling with 2 children 3 and under by yourself is hard.  Living at someone elses house for 2 weeks is hard.  Missing your better half for 2 weeks is hard.  But seeing your best friends is great.  Staying with family that you and your children adore is great.  Seeing your mother and dog is great.  That is why its hard to say the 2 weeks were just wonderful.  They were wonderful...but they were also hard.  We Facetimed with my inlaws last night (who are out of town visiting family) and from seeing me on Facetime they commented that I looked tired.  When people can tell from a video chat that you are tired, you know you look tired.

So, how do you sum up 2 weeks in a blogpost...I don't know but I am going to try.

I spent a few days working at Le Bonheur on a mock video for the Parent Mentor program. I never knew it was so hard to be an actress =). We spent 8 hours over 2 days for six 5 minute videos. I think majority of the do overs were my fault. Hoping they turn out ok. The videos are for training of new parent mentors and for funding for the future.

 After Le Bonheur the first Thursday I headed over to the FedEx House to help with the Forrest Spence Fund dinner. It was so great to be back and see how great Donna is doing with the dinners. So many families are blessed by these dinners. I was super thrilled because a few of my high school girls came to serve as well. I loved serving these families alongside some of my favorite girls. fedex house
That Friday we had a playdate at Mari Elliot's house.  I finally got to meet her beautiful baby girl Carnes.  I didn't take any pictures because I was busy talking and hanging out with friends.  A few other friends dropped by as well.

That afternoon my sister in law and her kids came in town for the weekend.  We were so excited to have them.  I didn't take any pictures during this time either because poor Olivia came down with a terrible stomach bug.  Poor thing was sick all Friday night.  I went running the next morning before the kids were up so I didn't even know she had been sick.  My MIL called and asked if I was coming home soon because they needed reinforcements.  I picked up the kids and we headed to Gibson's Donuts.
Loving our Gibsons donuts!
Saying hello
I was almost positive we were all going to get the stomach bug but praise the lord...we didn't. I still can't believe we dodged that bullet. No one else got the bug. Both of Anne's other 2 had 1 time they got sick but we don't think that was even the bug. I am amazed we all stayed well.

On Monday we headed to the zoo.  My mother in law is the interim director of education at the zoo so we decided to see where she worked and visit the zoo.  We went a lot when we lived in Memphis but I don't think Austin remembers any of it.  He was amazed at everything.  It was like he was seeing the animals for the first time.  It was really fun to watch. Panda IMG_5770 IMG_5772 IMG_5775 IMG_5777 IMG_5778 IMG_5782 IMG_5786 IMG_5788 IMG_5793 IMG_5799 IMG_5801 IMG_5802
On Monday night we met my high school girls at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Las Delicias.  The girls were so good with the boys.  It was like I had 5 full time babysitters.  It was awesome.    IMG_5805 IMG_5807 IMG_5811

IMG_5814IMG_5817
IMG_5823IMG_5824 IMG_5828
When we were driving home Austin talked to David on the phone and told him everything the girls did with him. It was really cute.

I also got to see my best friend Halley who is pregnant with twins!!!  She didn't want her picture taken because she has been feeling rough.  Poor thing has been put through the ringer with sickness.  IMG_5831
Yes, I did take a picture of her belly. I wanted to see if she's showing yet. I am so excited about these babies...like over the moon excited. They are due on my birthday...woo hoo! They will probably come sooner but still really cool that their due date was my birthday. We are going to be sooo close. I truly can't wait to meet these precious 2!
Neely, one of the high school girls wanted her belly in the picture too. IMG_5833
Tuesday and Wednesday we did bible study, more Le Bonheur stuff, lunch with a friend, and Austin had a day at the airport with Dingdad.  On Thursday we had a playdate at Candace's house.  She has 3 precious children all close to the same age as my 2.  Everyone had so much fun.
Playing with friends
This has been a long post and we still have almost a week to go.  I will do the rest of our time on the next post.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

jennie brooks said...

When I took Whit to school today he said "oh, and when I leave Austin will come over to play." Poor kid thinks it's now a ritual! Can't believe we didn't get pictures at your party!!! Missing you all already :(

Emilee Odette Garrett said...

So good to have you "home" for a while. I can only imagine how hard the trip was. You are missed in Memphis and I'm so thankful you're halfway to being back! Get some rest, friend!