Comfort and Joy

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will
give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:13

Friday, June 1, 2012

Memphis zoo

While in Memphis we took a morning to spend at the zoo with my childhood best friend.  Bobbie and I have been best friends for 18 years.  Her family moved to Hernando, which is a little south of Memphis, right after we moved to Boston.  I am super excited to move back to Memphis and have my best friend live so close.  Her youngest son Charley came along while her oldest Tuck was at school.  It was a perfect day to spend at the zoo with friends. IMG_6640 IMG_6645
We spent some time visiting the Grizzly bears while sharing pretzels with each other.  The boys picked right up where we left off when we saw them in January.  Brings such a huge smile to my face to see mine and Bobbie's boys playing together.  IMG_6618 IMG_6617
We then saw the polar bear up close and personal.  Charley wasn't afraid to get right up on the window...Austin preferred to stand back just a little.  IMG_6620
Miller preferred to stay in the stroller and enjoy his snack.  I think the polar bear was eyeing Miller's snack as well.
IMG_6623
We watched the panda bear eat a lot of bamboo.  I don't think I can count how many times Austin asked me why panda bears eat bamboo.  He is a very curious kid.  He also got a big kick out of the panda bears name, Yaya, just like his grandma's name.  =)IMG_6626
Then spent some time with the giraffes.  A lot of questions about why giraffe's smell and constantly stand up.
IMG_6629 IMG_6632
Our last stop before lunch was the gorilla exhibit. Yaya, who is now the Education Director at the zoo, was able to meet up and walk the last bit with us. She also sat with us during lunch. IMG_6636
We stopped for lunch in one of the restaurants and while eating some of the monkeys came swinging up to our window and watched us eat our lunch. The boys got a big kick out of this. The monkeys literally didn't leave our side the entire time we were eating. IMG_6638 IMG_6639 IMG_6637
Looking forward to spending many more days at the zoo when we return.

No comments: